Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 July 2008

Racecard Seller - Galway Races

Racecard Seller - Galway Races
Galway Races 2003

"Racecards or Biro!"

"Racecard or Biro! Racecard or Biro! Get your racecard or Biro here!"

Lily, the racecard seller, captures the traditional spirit of the Galway Races:

"I'm an auld gambler. I love the horses. I'm 84. I'm coming here since I was a child, and all belonging to me.

I went once on a horse and cart during the war to the point-to-points.

Oh, I've met everyone ... owners, trainers, jockeys.

I'll go in now after selling me racecards and I'll stand at the Tote and I'll go round.

I'll come out then at the last race and I'll sell me bit of stuff (chocolates and fruit).

But I love the horses. I love the jockeys. I love everyone. And they're very kind to me. Every one of them, from the king to the beggar, is good."

No comments: