Search This Blog

Thursday 3 July 2008

Galway Hurdle 2006

Paddy Flood rides Cuan Na Grai into the crowded winner's enclosure

Paddy Flood, deputising for the injured Barry Geraghty, rode Cuai Na Grai to an impressive all-the-way victory in the 2006 Guinness Galway Hurdle. Trainer Paul Nolan was winning the race for the third time following successes with Say Again 2002 and Cloone River 2004.

The trainer raced onto the track to embrace both horse and jockey: "We always thought an awful lot of the horse and, thanks be to God, he's done himself justice today. A wonderful, wonderful ride by Paddy Flood!"

Tracy Piggott congratulated Nolan: "This is your third Galway Hurdle. A wonderful performance."

But the modest Wexford man demurred: "Ah, I wouldn't say that. I mean if you haven't got the artillery, you're not going to win it."

He laughed: "I was giving off about Noel O'Brien (the handicapper) giving him 13lbs the last time he won but, hats off again, I was wrong and he's right. I don't care what he gives him now that we've won another Galway Hurdle."

Commenting on Cuan Na Grai's performance, he said: "He jumped beautiful for Paddy. They didn't go that quick but he quickened in the right place. I was always afraid coming to the last. I was just hoping to God that he'd get over it and get out there and thankfully he did."

John Brennan, the winning owner, told Tracy Piggott: "My words to Paddy Flood going out were: 'Paddy, pretend you own this horse. He's your horse now when he leaves the parade ring. Mind him. Give him plenty of light. And if he comes up the hill the first time, he won't be caught the second time.'"

He said that he watched the race on the giant screen from the middle of the parade ring. "After they jumped the last I'm afraid I lost it a little bit.
I saw them (the other jockeys) behind and they were all scrubbing. He hasn't finished this guy yet, I said, and if Paddy touches him he'll find more. I hope Noel O'Brien wasn't watching it."

With tears welling in his eyes, he added: "My uncle died last night in America and I was saddened about that. If I rang him and asked him if he knew he was going to die should I run the horse. He would have said, 'Run the horse'. I'm sure they would understand that back home."

Winning jockey Paddy Flood told RTE's Robert Hall: "Yes, a proper winner. A proper horse. He's only 5 year old, still a novice. Whatever he does over hurdles, he's going to be some chaser. When he gets to know the game, he's going to be some horse."

Watching the replay of the finish, he said: "A real tough horse, a real good galloper. Goes on fast ground. There's not much more you could ask for in a horse. Relishes the hill. Sticks his neck out. I think he's a top class horse."

Cuan Na Grai
2006 Guinness Galway Hurdle Winner

No comments: