Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 July 2008

Galway Races - Galway Plate 2005

Ansar leaving the parade ring before winning the 2005 Galway Plate

Last year's winner Ansar secured victory once again in the 2005 renewal of the Hewlett-Packard Galway Plate, giving trainer Dermot Weld his fourth Galway Plate success.

A winner on six previous occasions at Ballybrit, Ansar finished a comfortable seven lengths clear of runner-up Ursumman.

Weld commented: "I was concerned that he wouldn't carry that weight, but he got a lovely ride from Denis. Ansar's a super 'leper' and has a tremendous spring to him."

O'Regan added: "Everything worked out well. I didn't want to be too far away as I thought he was the class horse in the race. I jumped him off up there and he was foot perfect all the way.

In the middle of the race there was a loose horse who nearly brought out the lad who was making the running. He was bothering me a bit then because I was keeping to the inner all the way.

I thought I was going too soon, but I was going too well and I jumped the last pretty well."

3.40 William Hill Galway Plate (Steeplechase Handicap) (Grade A) 2m6f

1. Ansar - Denis O'Regan (3) 10/1

2. Ursumman - N P Madden 14/1

3. Light On The Broom - M P Walsh 25/1

4. Junior Fontaine (FR) - C O'Dwyer 11/1

Runners: 22 ran

Distances: 7l, 3/4l, head

Trainer: D K Weld

No comments: