Search This Blog

Saturday 12 July 2008

Galway Plate 2006

Christy Roche, trainer of 2006 Guinness Galway Plate winner Far From Trouble, shares a joke in the winner's enclosure with Damien McElroy (Irish Independent) and Tracy Piggott (RTE).

Christy Roche said: "I was as confident as I could be going into the race as the horse was very well.

AP (McCoy) thought he was going to win the Irish National when he fell. It was then Tony's idea to go for the Plate. He prefers this ground rather than heavy ground but just before the race I had a concern about the ground being too fast - I wouldn't have run him then. But the ground was nice and not too fast in the end."

An elated Roger Loughran, who deputised for the injured McCoy, said: "That was great. He jumped the second-last spot-on and he did it like a real good horse going up the straight. Everything went to plan, which is amazing because I only found out from Christy an hour before the race that I'd be riding the horse. It's a shame for Tony though and I wish him a speedy recovery."

3.40 William Hill Galway Plate (Steeplechase Handicap) (Grade A) 2m6f

1. Far From Trouble - R Loughran 8/1

2. Ansar - Ruby Walsh 4/1fav

3. Dix Villez (FRA) - P J Brennan 16/1

4. Ursumman - N P Madden 9/1

Runners: 22 ran

Distances: 3 1/2l, 1 1/4l, neck

Trainer: C. Roche

No comments: